How long the battery can last before it needs recharging depends on how you use
Try out some of these tips to help increase battery life.
Use the power management features
- Turn Power saver mode and Extreme power saver mode on in Settings.
- Monitoring your battery usage helps identify what's using the most power so you can choose what to do about it. For details, see
Checking battery usage.
Manage your connections
- Turn off wireless connections such as mobile data,
Bluetooth when not in use.
- Turn GPS on only when a precise location is needed, such as while using navigation or location-based apps. See
Turning location services on or off.
- Turn on Airplane mode when you don't need any wireless connections and you don't want to receive calls or messages.
Manage your display
Lowering the brightness, letting the display sleep when not in use, and keeping it simple helps save battery power.
Manage your apps
- Battery optimization helps extend battery standby time. See Battery optimization for apps.
- Install the latest software and application updates. Updates sometimes include battery performance improvements.
- Uninstall or disable apps that you never use.
Many apps run processes or sync data in the background even when you're not using them. If there are apps that you don't need anymore, uninstall them.
If an app came preloaded and can't be uninstalled, disabling the app can still prevent it from continuously running or syncing data. See
Disabling an app.
Limit background data and sync
Background data and sync can use a lot of battery power if you have many apps syncing data in the background. It’s recommended not to let apps sync data too often. Determine which apps can be set with longer sync times, or sync manually.
- In Settings, tap
Accounts & sync and check what types of data are being synced in your online accounts. When the battery is starting to run low, temporarily disable syncing some data.
- If you have many email accounts, consider prolonging the sync time of some accounts.
Mail app, select an account, tap
, and then adjust the settings under
- When you’re not traveling from one place to another, sync weather updates of only your current location, rather than in all of your named cities. Open the
Weather app, and then tap
to edit and remove unneeded cities.
- Choose widgets wisely.
Some widgets constantly sync data. Consider removing the ones that are not important from your Home screen.
Play Store, tap
, and then clear
Add icon to Home screen to avoid automatically adding Home screen app shortcuts whenever you've installed new apps. Also tap
if you're fine with updating apps from
Play Store manually.
To squeeze in a little bit more battery power, try these tips:
- Tone down the ringtone and media volume.
- Minimize the use of vibration or sound feedback. In Settings, tap
Sound & notification and choose which ones you don't need and can disable.
- Check your apps’ settings as you may find more options to optimize the battery.