HTC America, Inc. will be rolling out a system update for the HTC One S.
This update will only be available for T-MOBILE HTC One S customers and will be sent to the device over the air. You can check for this update by going to All Apps > Settings > About > Software updates > Check Now
Note: You must be connected to WiFi in order to download this update.
As an alternative solution, the system update can be downloaded to a PC and manually applied to the device. See the section titled “Manual system upgrade instructions” at the bottom of the page for more information.
This system update includes:
- Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) with Google Now
- HTC Sense 4+
- Enhanced Gallery application with Event and Map views.
- New “Hide apps” feature in All apps.
- Improved power management.
WARNING: During the upgrade process the device will reboot multiple times and show software upgrade screens. Do not power the device off as this will stop the update and your device may be rendered inoperable!
Before you proceed with the update, make sure you have done the following:
- Set aside approximately 20 minutes to allow the device to update, possibly longer based on Wi-Fi network speed
- Connect the device to a charger
- Ensure the battery is charged to at least 30%
- Connect to a stable Wi-Fi network to download the software file.
To manually perform the update, follow these steps below:
- Ensure the device is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- From the Home screen, tap All apps and then tap Settings.
- Tap About and then tap Software Update.
- Tap Check for updates.
- Tap OK to download the update.
- Tap OK to start the upgrade process.
- The status of the download can be viewed in the Notifications pull down.
- Once the download is complete, you will be prompted to install from the Notifications pull down menu. Tap the System update notification to begin the upgrade process.
- Tap OK to begin the update process
- The device will reboot and begin installation. You will not be able to use your device during the installation process (approximately 10 minutes).
- System update complete. Tap OK to continue.
Manual system update instructions:
If you are outside of Wi-Fi coverage, or the update is not found, you may perform a manual system update. This process requires that you download and install HTC Sync Manager first in order to get the proper drivers. If you do not have HTC Sync Manager installed already, you may download the software from http://www.htc.com/us/support/.
WARNING: Performing the system update manually will delete all information from the device. Ensure all information is backed up before proceeding. See the Help & How To section of this website for more information on backing up your device contents.
Performing the ROM Update:
- Download and save the HTC One S™ for T-MOBILE ROM update to your PC.
- Connect your device to your PC via the supplied USB cable.
- If the device is not recognized by the PC, ensure you have HTC Sync Manager installed and then disconnect and reconnect the device from the USB cable.
- Once the device is properly recognized on the PC, locate the HTC One S™ for T-MOBILE ROM Update that you downloaded. Double-click on the file to launch the system update wizard.
- Follow all of the system update wizard instructions shown on your PC.
- Once the update is complete, click Finish in the Wizard and the device will reboot.
- Once the device reboots, the initial setup wizard will appear.
- Once the initial setup process is complete, the device is ready for use.