Effective Date: July 20, 2011
HTC respects your privacy. HTC Corporation, with headquarters at No. 23 Xing-Hua Rd., Taoyuan City, Taoyuan County 330, Taiwan, including its affiliates (“HTC”) provides this Privacy Statement (the "Statement") to help you understand how HTC collects and uses the Personal Information and Non-Personal Information (each as defined below) you submit to or which is collected by HTC via HTC’s website at www.htc.com (the “Site”), including any club or forum offered through the Site or that is collected when you visit the Site. “You” means an individual who accesses or uses the Site.
This Statement only governs the collection, storage, use and disclosure of information collected through the Site. It does not apply to information collected by HTC in other ways (for example, from third parties) or through other HTC websites (such as the HTC Online Store or HTC Accessory Store website, which may be available in some territories) or services, and it does not modify or alter other agreements you may have, or enter later, with HTC. For example, if HTC collects information about you from third party sources, the collection, storage, use and disclosure of that information will be governed by HTC’s agreement with you or the third party source, unless the privacy statement of a third party source indicates that this Statement will govern HTC’s use of the information that the third party source provides to HTC. Also, if you provide Personal Information to HTC through other means, such as when you call customer service or send Personal Information related to promotions or product registrations via postal mail, this Statement does not apply to that information.
You acknowledge and agree that this Statement has the same effect as a written consent. By accessing or using the Site or providing information to HTC through the Site, you acknowledge that you have reviewed the content of this Statement and consent to the practices described in this Statement.
- Information that HTC Collects
- HTC’s Use of Personal Information
- Sharing Personal Information
- Cookies and Other Technologies
- Children’s Personal Information
- Communication Preferences
- Access and Updates to Personal Information
- Security of Personal Information
- Third Party Sites and Services
- Changes to this Statement
- How to Contact HTC
- Information that HTC Collects. When you visit the Site, HTC collects certain Personal Information, as well as Non-Personal Information.
- Personal Information. In this Statement, “Personal Information” means any information about an identifiable individual, as further defined under applicable laws. HTC collects Personal Information when you submit it to the Site (for example when you sign up for a club membership, such as e-Club or YouClub, when you participate in promotions or surveys or when you email product descriptions to friends). The Personal Information collected may include your name, birth date, address, mobile, phone, or fax number, email address, IP address, account information (such as account and online registration), online activities, and other specific personal information. In some cases, if HTC asks you to provide Personal Information, the provision of that information will be mandatory to participate in a particular activity, service or promotion. If you do not provide this Personal Information, your participation in that activity, service or promotion may be limited or prohibited. For example, if you choose not to provide your Personal Information in a required field when you sign-up for a club membership, you may not become a club member of HTC.
- Non-Personal Information. HTC also collects certain “Non-Personal Information,” which means data in a form that does not include direct or indirect association with an identifiable individual, such as gender, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location and time zone where an HTC product or service is used, and information about customer activities on the Site, to allow HTC to better understand customer behavior and improve HTC’s services, products and advertising. HTC collects some of this Non-Personal Information automatically when you visit the Site. If Non-Personal Information is combined with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated as Personal Information for as long as it remains combined.
- Voluntary Disclosure. Where you voluntarily disclose additional personal information without being prompted by HTC and HTC is not made aware that it should take special care in handling such information, then HTC will not be held liable for that information under this Privacy Statement unless and to the extent that HTC is obliged to use and protect such information pursuant to and in accordance with applicable law.
- HTC’s Use of Information. HTC will only use Personal Information for the purposes set out in this Statement, with your consent or as required or permitted by law. Consent may be express or implied, and given in writing, by using or not using a check-off box, electronically, orally, or by your conduct, such as by visiting the Site and by using services or products offered through the Site. You agree that the consent given electronically should have the same effect as that given in writing. In some jurisdictions implied consent is not sufficient, in which case, express consent will be required. HTC processes and uses the Personal Information it collects for the following purposes: to enable the features you are using, to operate, develop and improve its web sites, business, products, services, content and advertising, to inform you of HTC’s latest product announcements, software updates and services, to provide you with more effective customer service, to analyze HTC’s business, products and other services, to detect fraud and abuse, and as otherwise described in the Site Terms and Conditions, and if you have an HTC device, your End User License Agreement. HTC may also process, access, use, store and disclose Personal Information to enforce the terms and policies governing your use of the Site (including investigation of any potential violation), to detect or prevent security breaches, fraudulent activity or technical issues, to protect the rights or property of HTC and its customers. Also, HTC may use your Personal Information to communicate with you; HTC may send service communications such as welcome emails, information on technical service issues, and security announcements, as well as information about changes to our terms, conditions and policies. HTC may also occasionally send you product surveys or promotional mailings to inform you about other products or services available from HTC, and to fulfill promotions. Personal information collected through the Site may be stored and processed in Taiwan, the EEA, USA and any other country in which HTC or its service providers maintain facilities. By using the Site, you consent to the transfer, recording and storage of information outside of the country where you reside. While in another jurisdiction for processing, the information may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement and national security authorities. HTC may use your Personal Information from the day you submit it to the day it is deleted, whether as a result of deletion due to a request by you to delete it, or for another reason.
- Sharing Personal Information. Except as described in this Statement or otherwise as permitted by law, HTC’s practice is to not disclose Personal Information about you outside of HTC and its affiliates without your consent. You hereby consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information as outlined in this Statement. HTC may disclose the Personal Information described in Section 1 of this Statement to its third party service providers so they may complete transactions or perform services on HTC’s behalf, transactions on your behalf, or transactions related to providing services to you. For example, HTC may contract with third parties to host the Site, collect and provide product reviews, provide promotions or surveys, send HTC’s emails, and fulfill product orders and promotions. HTC will use contractual agreements to protect Personal Information disclosed to third party services providers. For further information about HTC’s practices with respect to such third party service providers, or for inquiries related to the collection, use, disclosure or storage of Personal Information by such third party service providers, please contact the Privacy Administrator, as set forth in Section 11 of this Statement. HTC may also access, use, store and disclose Personal Information to comply with the law and lawful requests or legal process, enforce the terms and policies governing your use of the Site including investigations of any potential violation, to detect or prevent security, fraud or technical issues, to protect the rights or property of HTC and its customers, and when HTC believes in good faith that the disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of HTC, its employees and customers, or the public. Also, HTC may disclose Personal Information in connection with (but not limited to) the following circumstances:
- Certain Business Transfers. HTC may disclose personal information as part of a corporate business transaction, such as a merger or acquisition, joint venture, corporate reorganization, financing, or sale of company assets (including for due diligence purposes for a proposed commercial business transaction). HTC may also disclose Personal Information in the event of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which personal information could be transferred to third parties as one of the business assets in the transaction.
- Co-Branded Services. Some services in connection with the Site may be co-branded and offered together with another company. If you register for or use these services, both HTC and the other company may receive your Personal Information collected in connection with the co-branded services.
- Other Purposes. HTC may disclose Personal Information as consented to by you from time to time, including to fulfill any other purposes that are identified when the Personal Information is collected.
HTC will use measures as required by law to protect the security of the Personal Information transferred. Some jurisdictions only allow disclosure of account information and content (including the content of communications) if it is provided by law or pursuant to court order, so the above section may not apply to you.
- Children’s Personal Information. The Site does not target and is not intended for children under the age of 13. HTC does not want to collect personal information from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13, you should not access the Site and should not provide HTC any information about yourself, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address (directly, or on site bulletin boards, blogs, etc.). If you are 13 years of age or older but under the age of majority according to local law (18 in most countries), before you decide whether or not to access this Site and to share Personal Information with HTC, you should review this Privacy Statement with your parent or guardian to make sure that you and your parent or guardian understand it. Parents or guardians are advised to supervise their children while using the Internet and mobile and other devices. If HTC discovers personal information from children under age 13, HTC will delete that information. If you live in Spain, this Section 5 applies to children under age 14. If you live in Vietnam, this Section 5 applies to children under age 15. If you live in the Netherlands, this Section 5 applies to children under age 16. If you live in France, this Section 5 applies to children under age 18.
- Communication Preferences. If you have consented to receive marketing communications, HTC may send you emails to inform you about products, services or other marketing materials, which HTC considers may be of interest to you, or that you have otherwise agreed to receive. You may opt-out of receiving future marketing communications from HTC by following the instructions in the relevant communication. If you opt-out of receiving future marketing emails, HTC may still send you service communications such as (but not limited to) support, software and security updates and product recall information.
- Access and Updates to Personal Information. You may be able to access, copy, update, and delete your Personal Information, to the extent it is not otherwise required to be retained by law, through the Site by changing registration information you provide in connection with the Site. You will be required to sign in with your user name and password. HTC may keep records of changes to your Personal Information (including deletions). You can delete your account via an email request to HTC. HTC will respond to your request and stop processing your information 28 days after receiving such request.
- Security of Personal Information. HTC is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Information. HTC and the third party service providers that provide hosting services for the Site use a variety of security technologies and administrative procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure with security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. For example, your Personal Information is stored on computer systems located in controlled facilities with limited access. HTC restricts access to the Personal Information to employees who have a need to use the Personal Information.
- Third Party Sites and Services. The Site may contain links to third-party websites, products and services, such as social networking sites and third parties who may offer additional products and services through the Site. The third parties use of the data they collect will be governed by the third parties’ privacy practices. Please review these before providing any Personal Information to any third party.
- Changes to this Statement. This Statement is effective as of the effective date at the top of this Statement. HTC may periodically update this Statement to reflect changes in its practices or applicable laws or regulations. If HTC updates this Statement, HTC will post the updated version of this Statement and it will change the “effective date” at the top of this Statement. If the updated version of the Statement contains material changes to how HTC collects, uses, or shares your personal information, HTC will post a prominent notice of the updated version on the Site. To the extent permitted by applicable law, your continued use of the Site constitutes your binding acceptance of the updated Statement.
- How To Contact HTC. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Statement or about HTC’s privacy practices, please direct your privacy-related comments or questions to the applicable address below:
Attention: Privacy Administrator HTC Corporation No. 23 Xinghua Road Taoyuan City, Taoyuan County 330
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company registration number: 16003518
If you live in North or Latin America, to:
Attention: Privacy Administrator HTC America, Inc.
13920 SE Eastgate Way, Suite 400
Bellevue, WA 98005
Nominated HTC representative for the UK Attention: Privacy Administrator HTC Europe Co. Ltd Salamanca
Wellington Street Slough, Berkshire
SL1 1YP, UK
Email address: email@example.com
Company registration number: 04826012
If you live outside of the United Kingdom, or North or Latin America, to:
Attention: Privacy AdministratorHTC Corporation No. 23 Xinghua Road Taoyuan City, Taoyuan County 330
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Company registration number: 16003518